Tuesday, August 31, 2010

90s Jams #59: Smashing Pumpkins "Cupid de Locke" (1995)

I'm not really sure how to review something like this without making outrageous claims, like "Cupid de Locke is the most beautiful song I've ever heard in my life," which even stranger is probably true. When Billy Corgan tried to be Robert Smith, amazing things happened. I'm desperately praying that some shitty forthcoming 90's nostalgia Hollywood-posing-as-indie movie doesn't end up ruining this song, which I could totally see happening... Corgan compared himself to Pavement by describing Smashing Pumpkins as living music, for growing up, and experiencing what eventually becomes your most cherished memories. Typical Corgan: He sounded like a complete asshole when he said this, even though he was absolutely correct.

2 comments:

  1. Mike this is what I'm talkin' about!!! You are sooo funny.
    OMG this album is nothing but teen angst memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and PS
    the talking portion of this song makes me feel embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete