Saturday, March 20, 2010

90's Guilty Pleasures #26: Sophie B. Hawkins "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" (1992)

The shit-storm that arrived on VH1 after the success of of Alanis Morrisette makes Sophie B. Hawkins much easier to appreciate, specifically her lack of pretentiousness (or at least what seemed this way based on one song). Also, bonus points should be issued for the wise production decision to drown out mediocre lyrics with well-arranged keyboard overdubs, while keeping the catchy unrequited-love exclamations loudly accentuated for the choruses. (On a personal note, I've been told that a friend of my family played guitar on this song, although this has never been officially confirmed.. unless it was confirmed back when I was like 12 or 13 and I just forgot..)

No comments:

Post a Comment