Monday, March 8, 2010

90's Guilty Pleasures #33: Jordan Knight "Give It To You" (1999)

In case the guilt factor wasn't obvious enough, it's the very context of an ex-NKOTB member reviving his career in the TRL era with some straight up teen-dance-party jams. The pleasure derives from the revival attempt itself: This one single is far better than any New Kids On The Block song, and better than at least 90% of every other charting TRL favorite in 1999, thanks to some killer fake-Timbaland drum sequencing and an otherwise brilliant bridge/chorus. The video also includes a brief non-preachy anti-smoking PSA which was a nice gesture.

With that out of the way, let's take a good look at these lyrics:

I'm the place to be and soon you'll see
I don't care who leads as long as we move
Horizontally
Anyone can make you sweat, but I can keep you wet
It's creepin' around in your head / Me holdin' you down in my bed
You don't have to say a word / I'm convinced you want this
Baby you know I can give it to you / I can't deny I'd do it right
Just let me know and I'll give it to you / Show me where I'll taste you there


Brain=FUCKED/Comedy-genius? Keeping in mind that Jordan Knight was 28 when this video debuted, and his career revival was based around the success of teen pop, a genre targeted toward 12-year-old girls, with a video that takes place at a fucking carnival... These were probably the most absurdly creeped-out lyrics on MTV that entire year, at least until 2Gether showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment