Saturday, March 6, 2010

90's Guilty Pleasures #48: The Wallflowers "Sixth Avenue Heartache" (1996)

They were one of those one-album-wonder bands who were a big fucking deal on VH1 and then were completely forgotten about. And what’s up with Jacob Zimmerman using his dad’s surname of “Dylan” and then telling people that he wanted to detach himself from his father’s success? I call bullshit on that.

That's what was written about The Wallflowers for the Taste My Mixes Experiment thing that was posted here recently... I can't think of much else to say about them, except that both "Sixth Avenue Heartache" and "One Headlight" go on for at least 2 minutes longer than they should, and are both way too slow. HOWEVER! I kinda like the stoner Tom-Petty-flavored atmosphere of "Sixth Avenue Heartache," and I like that "666" appears at least twice in this song, and I also have very happy and vivid memories of Crackhead Bob dancing and singing along when The Wallflowers played this at Howard Stern's on-air birthday party. Are those good enough reasons? Whatever, I'm going with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment