Saturday, November 7, 2009

terrible, TERRIBLE band names

Oh, the horror... (in no particular order)...

#1 AIDS Wolf
#2 Casiotone For The Painfully Alone
#3 I'm A Fucking Gymnist
#4 LMFAO
#5 Margot And The Nuclear So-And-So's

That last one at #5 is the result of a guy who decided to name 2 bands after references to The Royal Tenenbaums. It's a truly sad thing when the meaning of a shitty band name cannot be improved upon learning the context of its origin.

I feel bad including #2 because Casiotone did the music for a movie called Stay The Same Never Change which is one of my favorite movies of 2009, but even so, I find it very difficult to get past such a fucking horrendously shitty name..

#6 Say Hi To Your Mom
#7 Dogs Die In Hot Cars
#8 Dananananaykord
#9 Working For A Nuclear Free City
#10 Cute Is What We Aim For
#11 Natalie Portman's Shaved Head
#12 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.
#13 The Boy Least Likely To
#14 I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
#15 1990s
#16 Does It Offend You, Yeah?

I was informed that the name at #16 was chosen completely at random, after turning on the TV and hearing Ricky Gervais on The Office (UK) asking that exact question. I'll give this band credit for admitting that they weren't trying AT ALL when their name was chosen.

#17 The Whitest Boy Alive
#18 John Vanderslice
#19 Cage The Elephant
#20 G Love & Special Sauce

Before continuing, I'll just stop here for a second, and remind everyone that the majority of these are band names, as opposed to solo acts, which means that more than one person had to agree upon these names to represent their music.. Moving on...

#21 The String Cheese Incident
#22 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
#23 Hoobastank
#24 Hockey
#25 SHeDAISY
#26 Finger Eleven
#27 Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash
#28 Bowling for Soup
#29 Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
#30 Los Lonely Boys
#31 Boyzone
#32 Death Cab For Cutie
#33 You Say Party! We Say Die!
#34 Blue Skies At War
#35 The Music
#36 Da Band

I feel bad including recent bands who have produced music I actually enjoy.. For example, the recent album from The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart is pretty kickass, so I had a hard time including them here, but OMFG if there was ever a shitty band name... Also same with Godspeed You Black Emperor..

No comments:

Post a Comment