Saturday, March 27, 2010

90's Guilty Pleasures #9: Usher "You Make Me Wanna" (1997)

It's hard to think of commentary for some of these R&B choices.. And usually this eludes to falling back on nostalgia... When I first saw this video, I was confused into thinking that Usher was a group of 4 or 5 guys, because there are 4 or 5 Ushers dancing in the beginning of this video. Eventually "Yeah!" became his trademark song, but "You Make Me Wanna" is still one of the best breakthrough R&B singles of the decade, proven by its longevity on Top 40 radio playlists, where it remains to this day. Within months after its release, "Nice & Slow" and "My Way" slayed with nearly as much punch as the first single. I'm still waiting for Usher to return to Jermaine Dupri and correctly match this trifecta of awesome.

P.S. The adlibs in this one are so fucking killer... I mean, they're not quite Michael Jackson caliber, but who is, really...

No comments:

Post a Comment