Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Don't Panic "Just Be Cool"



Don't Panic
Just Be Cool (cassette)
2006


1. Don't Panic - Fine Dining (2:44)
2. Don't Panic - Sensory Deprivation For Change (3:02)
3. Don't Panic - Marine Recruiter (4:36)
4. Don't Panic - We'll Get There Eventually (5:01)
5. Don't Panic - Lying To The Government (5:33)
6. Don't Panic - Don’t Panic Theme Song (3:27)
7. Don't Panic - I'm Sorry Mister Rogers (5:58)

I was sadly unable to retrieve all of the scatterbrain album art for this release (which included strange drawings, information about the songs, and a Calvin & Hobbes comic among other things), as its creator was unable to pass it over to me during our radio show last night. But I got anxious, and I'm posting this album anyway... Part of the less-than-spectacular sound quality of these mp3s can be attributed to myself, as I converted this to mp3 a few months ago with my analogue 4-track, which somehow sounds as though it degraded the quality from the way the exact same songs sounded on Don't Panic's Myspace Page: http://www.myspace.com/canyoubelievetherewasadaylastweekwheniwasntdrunk...

Here's what I can remember about it: "Marine Recruiter" was influenced by Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska LP, and "I'm Sorry Mister Rogers" is a cover of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler." Knowing what I know about Don't Panic, I'd have to guess alcohol consumption played a mighty large part in the production of this tape. This is the first time this album has been available digitally, and this specific version of Just Be Cool offers an exact replica of how the original tape was presented. Tracks 1 through 4 make up side A, and track 5 through 7 are side B. After the end of tracks 4 and 7, some hardcore punk songs show up out of nowhere, since that's what Don't Panic was taping over when he recorded this monstrosity. And yes, there are some static-laced and strange monsters to be found here...

download it!

1 comment: