Saturday, March 12, 2011

90's Jams #35: Ice Cube "It Was A Good Day" (1992)

I don't know much about basketball rules, so I had to inquire wikipedia for the definition of a triple-double: A triple-double is the accumulation of a double-digit number total in three of the five categories in a game. The most common way to notch triple-double is through points, rebounds, and assists. Oscar Robertson leads the all-time NBA list with 181.

So it sounds like some serious ass skill is involved, but I suppose it's not entirely implausible for Ice Cube, who by the way is 5'9, if that makes any difference. Moving on, about half of this song might as well be Ice Cube's own version of "My Favorite Things" (or the "interests" section of his Facebook info) including The Drop Top, LA Lakers, Yo! MTV Raps, dominoes, ladies, 40s, chronic, Fat Burger. Good list. And the rest of his good day is all about avoiding some wack bullshit, such as "lookin' in my mirror, not a jacker in sight.." "plus nobody I know got killed in South Central LA," and of course "today I didn't even have to use my AK." I've really been trying hard to make these entries shorter, but a few quick necessary comments:

#1 I vividly recall the phrase "it was a good day" being hugely ubiquitous to the point where it was used as a punchline on pretty much every black comedy show I watched at the time: Martin, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, In Living Color, that show with Tootie from The Facts Of Life and Queen Latifah, etc...
#2 Probably the only rap single I memorized entirely without trying.
#3 And how many 90's Jams can say they have their own flow chart?

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment