Thursday, August 5, 2010

VMA nom predictions: Not so great

Just a warning for those who are normal and who don't care about any of the artists mentioned after this paragraph: Please ignore this post entirely and go directly below it to the At.The.Drive.In video posted yesterday which I promise you is approximately 4 thousand times more entertaining and far less boring than anything I'm writing about here... For those who are leftover, who probably equates to approximately zero people, you lucky fucks get to read about how closely I predicted the VMA nominees last week. Seriously though, please don't read this because it's fucking horrible and embarrassing...

So anyway, even someone as dumb as me had enough sense to realize that "Bad Romance" was the most obvious candidate for what will definitely be receiving the "Video Of The Year" award. Lady Gaga was nominated 13 times, and what I hadn't counted on was that not one, but TWO of her clips would be up for Video Of The Year.

My only other correct guess was Enimem's "Not Afraid." MTV didn't do the same thing they did last year by only choosing stuff that was immensely popular... Out of my friends and family, pretty much all of whom discuss music with me on a regular basis, none of them have ever mentioned anything about the new 30 Seconds To Mars or the new Florence + The Machine. Up until reading the VMA nominees, I was barely aware that either band had released any music in the past year. I know who Jordan Catalano is, but regardless, these appear to be some pretty random ass choices. Whatever...

My predictions came closest with "Best Male" by correctly guessing the Usher, Drake & Eminem videos; however Bieber was nowhere to be found here. (The same Bieber video was instead up for "Best New Artist," which I'm pretty sure is a no brainer, since this award normally goes out to "here today gone tomorrow" kind of talent..) B.O.B. was correctly predicted; however, with a different video. "Nothin' On You" was instead nominated for "Best Pop."

I would have made an easy prediction of Beyonce for Best Female, except I hadn't realized at the time that she had released any new music since last August. Same goes for Taylor Swift, who I'd rather see win before Miley Cyrus anyday... The other 3 I predicted correctly (Gaga, Katy & Ke$ha)...

Phoenix is NOT up for best rock.. In fact, their "best rock" choices are pretty fucking bland... This is frustrating because I have nothing to base MTV's choices on since they don't play videos. Actually, I was basing it mostly on Billboard. The 2 "new rock" stations in my area play the shit out of "1901" and "Lisztomania," but I have yet to hear that MGMT song (although they both still play the shit out of "Kids") and I'm pretty sure I've never heard that Paramore song.

And although I think she's mostly boring, I'm surprised that Rhianna is up for zero awards, since the "Rude Boy" video (albeit an obvious M.I.A. ripoff) is sorta different and colorful.. and the song was a #1 hit and all.. yeah, whatever..

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2010/

No comments:

Post a Comment